Breathe Easy with Air Purification & Indoor Air Quality Services for Your Home.
Energy conservation is important, but tight homes often suffer from poor indoor air quality (IAQ). Without a fresh air pathway, your heating and cooling system distributes pollutants and contaminants into every room. Unaddressed IAQ issues can aggravate a variety of respiratory conditions including allergies, asthma and COPD.
Central Air Purifiers
Central air cleaners serve as the cornerstone of a comprehensive indoor air quality system. The role of the filter in an HVAC system has changed over time. Originally designed to keep large particles from building up on the evaporator coil, filtration is now a critical element in maintaining healthy indoor air. Standard fiberglass filters have been almost entirely replaced by pleated filters, electronic air cleaners and high-efficiency cabinet media filters.
Filter MERV Rating
The Minimum Efficiency Rating Value (MERV) was developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) so consumers would have a simple and effective way to compare filter efficiency. MERV uses a numerical ranking system ranging from 1-20, and it identifies the relative capture capacity of different filters of similar size. A higher MERV rating identifies a more effective filter.
- MERV 1-4: Filters with a MERV rating below four will capture and remove particles down to 10 microns in diameter, which includes hair and carpet fibers. Some MERV 4 filters can capture larger sized pollen grains.
- MERV 6-8: MERV 6 rated filters have an 85-90 percent arrestance capacity, which is almost eight times more effective than a fiberglass filter. Residential 1-inch pleated filters usually fall into this category. Many HVAC contractors recommend installing a filter with a minimum MERV 7 rating.
- MERV 9-11: MERV filters with a minimum nine rating are often installed in non-critical hospital applications. They usually have an efficiency of at least 90 percent down to one micron. Filters in this range usually provide considerable relief to those who suffer from severe allergies.
- MERV 13-16: Ultra high-efficiency filters are generally installed in clean rooms, dust free zones, and computer server rooms. Filters that receive an HEPA designation typically fall into this category with efficiencies ranging from 95-99.8 percent down to .3 microns.
Benefits of Quality Air Purifiers
Homeowners who invest in quality air cleaners and air humidifiers enjoy a variety of benefits including:
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: Central filtration is the first line of defense in removing the harmful airborne contaminants and toxins that continually enter your home. Filtration is especially important during the summer when most Nevada residents keep their doors and windows shut for extended periods.
- Lower Utility Bills: Dirt, dust and other pollutants that remain suspended in the air eventually become caked on vital HVAC system components. Your air conditioner will run longer cycles to satisfy the thermostat call.
- Extended Equipment Life: Cleaner equipment accumulates fewer runtime hours resulting in less frequent breakdowns and a longer unit life cycle.